21.2.10

Reality

Fragile. Fragile. Fragile... was the only thing running through my mind as i saw her scurrying around the house, with her shrunken skin-to-bone figure, frantically trying to gather the things that they were going to take with them. Every few minutes she would come to me with new instructions on how to carry on the job after her. The dog, the bedsheets, the cupboard, the clothes, the washing etc. Unfortunately all that i could register was that they were leaving.
Then, he called for me. I stepped into my room which they had been occupying for months and sat beside him on the bed. He gave me a light pat on my back and said with tears welling up in his sunken eyes, "I'm leaving, and i don't know if I'll ever come again". Immediately the words, "Don't say that, you will definitely be able to make it here next year!!" came to my mind. The only thing was, i didn't say it. I wanted to say it, but those words just wouldn't come out. There was something blocking it. Anyhow it became obvious to me that his weak body was growing weaker by the minute. Be it due to a weak mind or the lack of will power to live... he was not going to get any stronger, that's for sure. It ached to see him tear but I didn't know how to comfort him. All i had then was a fractured moment of hope that they would come and visit me again. I hugged him wishing that the only thing stopping them from coming was the accommodation. Then, things would have been so much easier and this time i would actually be able to do something to make life better for them. Like give up my room or whatever it took to make space for them in this house. But the reality of it was that the problem lied with their health and that was something that I, irregardless of choice, couldn't make a difference in. They're taking a nap now and that's why I'm down here blogging away, but i know that in a few hours time, the moment that i've been dreading for, for the last few months, will in any case become real.
Laters all

No comments: